Sunday 2 October 2011

Assignment #2 :Photo Manipulation

Picture #1 (Steveson, BC)

I took this photo inside the home of an early pioneer/settlers home in a small museum community in Steveson British Columbia. Due to the lighting and shading in the shot, I decided that this would make for a really nice black and white photo.  It also reminded me of pictures from text books as child from my Canadian history books and on places I had visited on school trips as a young girl. and of that time period. I wanted to edit the original picture, through the adjustments tab on Adobe Photoshop, I used desaturation; making it black and white. I then used a filter option and added an effect called water paper. Light levels were adjusted and I made the picture slightly darker to enhance the shape/outline of the soap and cloth inside the wash basin. It gave the picture more character and depth, as well as the aging I wanted. 

Before Editing

After Editing


Adobe Photoshop CS2 was used to edit this photo.


Picture #2 (Maple Bay, BC)


I took this photo on an ocean side beach that is rarely used.  I loved the all the elements in this picture, the water, boats, gloomy sky and misty mountains in the background.  I felt that this would be a great picture to alter lighting and attempt to bright life and colour out of the photo. My first step was to balance all of the levels in the photo. I did so by adjusting each colour level separately (RBG, RED, BLUE, and GREEN) to the desired level. I then worked with the hue and saturation of the photo. I modified the picture by increasing saturation until the desired level was achieved and reduced the hue slightly. Once the photo was complete, it had life to it. Clearly defined lines and colour were formed, without taking away from the mood or tone of the photo. As you can see, the photo has more vibrancy, where you can now see the colours on the mountains, in the water and on the boats. 

Before Editing

After Editing




Adobe Photoshop CS2 was used to edit this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment